Volume No. 6 Issue No.: 3A Page No.: 748-752 Jan-Mar 12

 

LEAD AND CADMIUM ACCUMULATION IN FRESH WATER FISHES Labeo rohita AND Catla catla

 

Swati Nandi*, R.C. Srivastava and K.M. Agarwal

Department of Environment, All India Institute of Hygiene & Public Health, Kolkata (INDIA)

 

Received on : November 25, 2011

 

ABSTRACT

 

Releases of heavy metals into atmosphere contaminate the aquatic system. When these metals are absorbed by the absorbing living material and ultimately crosses the limit then these metal acts as a toxic. Such contamina- tion deteriorates the water quality and which leads to high rate of fish mortality. 30% of the total wastewater is used for aquaculture or irrigation purposes. The rest 70% of the wastewater is directly discharged into the Bay of Bengal, which pollutes the total estuarine region, and subsequently reduces aquatic biodiversity, causes large- scale deaths of fish seeds. The culture practice of fish is basically a composite system using different species of fish, which utilize different ecological niches of pond ecosystem. The poly-culture practices followed in waste- water fed fish farms are indian Major Carp, ( i.e. L. rohita, C. catla and C. mrigala). These metals can pose a significant health risk to humans, particularly in elevated concentrations above the very low body requirements.

 

Keywords : Bioaccumulation, Aquaculture, Labeo rohita, Catla catla, Fish cultivation, Human health

 

 

BACK